1. The type of fluoride added to drinking water
never occurs in nature. Nor does Fort Collins buy pharmaceutical grade
fluoride used in dental products. Fort Collins uses hydrofluorosilicic
acid (HFS) from the scrubbing system of a phosphate fertilizer company,
containing lead and other metals. HFS has never been approved for safety
or effectiveness by either the EPA or the FDA.
2. Fluoride is more toxic than lead and slightly
less toxic than arsenic. However, several hundred times more fluoride
is allowed in the water than either lead or arsenic, and it accumulates
in the body and the environment, like lead and arsenic, inflicting damage
over a long period of time.
3. Infants should be given no fluoride at all.
Formula made with fluoridated water is harmful to babies. A family-sized
tube of fluoride toothpaste contains enough fluoride to kill a small child.
4. Four glasses (one liter) of fluoridated
water equals a one-milligram prescription dose of fluoride, or four times
the maximum dose for children 6 months to 3 years of age.
5. Fluoride is linked to health problems, including
thyroid disease, bone cancer and bone fractures, behavior problems, arthritis,
and genetic damage.
6. Fluoride supplements are only available by prescription. Putting fluoride in the water is therefore medicating entire populations without people's permission. It is the right of every citizen to make personal health decisions and to have a water supply free of medications. No one should be forced to take a prescription dose of fluoride.
7. Fort Collins citizens are already being over-fluoridated without drinking artificially fluoridated water. Fluoride is found in most toothpastes, in foods and drinks processed in fluoridated areas, and in pesticide residue on fruits, vegetables, and grains. The daily intake of fluoride is far in excess of what was considered optimal in 1943.
8. Dental fluorosis, the permanent discoloration,
scarring, and weakening of children's teeth, is a visible sign of fluoride
poisoning. Fluorosis is rapidly increasing in the United States, even
in unfluoridated areas.
9. There is NO DIFFERENCE in tooth decay rates
in fluoridated and unfluoridated cities. Recent studies of defluoridated
cities have shown no increase in cavities, and sometimes a decrease.
10. Fluoridation has been rejected, discontinued,
or banned throughout most of the world. Almost all of Europe is unfluoridated
on the grounds that it is unsafe, and Europeansí teeth are often healthier
than fluoridated Americans!
11. Recent studies show that hip fracture rates
in the elderly are significantly higher in fluoridated areas.
12. Malnourished people, particularly children,
as well as the elderly, people with diabetes, kidney, and heart disease,
are at greater risk for fluoride's harmful effects.
"I am opposed to fluoridation because of the overwhelming evidence
that fluoridation is not only potentially harmful but has already caused
considerable, well-documented harm."
"Recent, peer-reviewed toxicity data, when applied to EPA's standard
method for controlling risks from toxic chemicals, require an immediate
halt to the use of the nation's drinking water reservoirs as disposal
sites for the toxic waste of the phosphate fertilizer industry."